Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Have You Seen This?

I am not certain if this article made national news but it is about a 9 year old child that committed suicide at school. Tragic and hard to believe such a young child could even think to do something like this let alone be that desperate. I found it equally as tragic that the other parents were in sensed that they were not notified immediately that this occurred in their child's school, and not more sensitive to the loss this child's parents incurred. At 9 I didn't even know what suicide was.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/012210dnmethanging.a15c906e.html

3 comments:

jamie_werve said...

As a mom of a 7 yr old, this story is both heartbreaking and terrifying. There's no way he could have known what he was doing... On the flip side, if he did know what he was doing and was *that sad* makes you wonder about the pressure, sadness and isolation that even a 9 year old can feel. I can't imagine what his poor parents are feeling.

Andrea Winkle said...

I have no words to express how I feel when I read this. Makes me even more vigilent to make sure my children know that they are precious no matter what do or what situations arise in their lives. So sad.

Tina said...

The saddest part of this is that he felt he had no where to turn with whatever was troubling him. I saw the newscast when this was reported and they interviewed one of his classmates. The classmate talked about how mean people were to this child. He could not say why. I guess it just stresses how important it is that we validate our children’s challenges. It is such a different world today. Unfortunately, I had to have the suicide talk with my children way before I was ready because the mother of some neighborhood children committed suicide a few years back. The resounding message is nothing is too big for us to handle together and there is always hope. So sad this boy felt hopeless.